02 March 2014

I think the reading slump is over...

  
Nothing like an 11-hour flight to get one reading again. Before we left DC for Hawaii I finished up a D.E. Stevenson romance. Always an enjoyable thing, but this time it made me hunger for something with a little more meat. I first picked up Great Expectations. My friend Roz, knowing I am not a Dickens fan thought I should try it. Less than a page into it I realized I had seen a TV adaptation and wasn't keen on the plot. The criminal in the marsh holding it over Pip. Too much anxiety for me. Who knows I may pick it up in the future, but this wasn't the moment.

I am reading a real version, not an e-book.
So then I picked up Under the Volcano. Even though I blogged last time about taking this one on vacation I had already put it back on the shelf thinking I would never read it. But after my two paragraphs of Dickens it began to call my name from the other room. So I read a few pages before going to sleep. And, although I have given up on this one twice before, it quickly became clear to me that third time would be the charm. The trick was to read it slowly and to really think about what was written. This was not going to be a quick read. I was almost immediately taken in by the setting and the story. So when I picked it up on our flight today I was astonished and happy that I read about 100 pages, about 1/4 of the book. For something as dense as this 100 pages in one day was pretty impressive for me. And, contrary to what I wrote before, there is no way I read to 100 when I tried this book before. I probably stopped at 20 or so. As I moved along reading it today on the plane, it was clear I hadn't gotten very far on my previous attempts.

I also picked up and read Ella Minnow Pea from cover to cover. As I said on Goodreads, a cute idea looking for a story. Meh.

So, first day of vacation and I have already made gonzo progress. Here's to more of that.

12 comments:

  1. It is always good news when a reading slump is (almost) over, so enjoy it and I hope you have a lovely vacation.

    Kind regards,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On our first full day I have yet to pick up a book. John has an evening work event so if I can keep the TV off maybe I will get some reading done tonight.

      Delete
  2. Have a wonderful time in Hawaii. It is great fun there. I once read that when you begin a new book you should put aside a time for 60 to 90 minutes in which to start a book. By then you'll remember where you were and what is going on and should well and truly know if you like it. Starting a book with only 20 minutes just does't do it. Seems to work whenever I do it. Have a great holiday. Will look forward to hearing about it.
    TravellinPenguin- Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I followed that 60-90 minute rule I don't think I would ever read anything. I tend to only read in short spurts.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you liked what you were reading. Because it's not like you can get up and run out to a bookstore! I'm usually terribly frightened of selecting books for a plane for that reason!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had 14 books in my carry on bag. The situation you describe is the exact reason I had that many. Plus there were 100s of movies to choose from. I only watched about 30 minutes of Austenland which annoyed the H out of me.

      Delete
  4. Ella Minnow Pea never really appealed to me. Enjoy Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you about reading in short spurts -- sometimes I have a few minutes to squeeze in and I take advantage of it by trying a new book -- I have so many books I want to read I try use all the time possible. That's one good thing about Trollope -- his books have so many chapters but they're easy to read a little at a time. (I say this as I have just finished He Knew He Was Right which is more than 800 pages and 99 chapters. I was surprised at how easily I got through it).

    And Great Expectations was my very first Dickens experience and I loved it, to my amazement -- I'd always heard such dire things about him. It is rather dark but I still love it. I didn't care much for that PBS adaptation a couple years ago either. The boy who played Pip was too pretty, it was distracting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Trollope for so many reasons and the fact that most of his novels were originally serials certainly makes him easy to read in short bursts. In fact like a good TV show, you never want them end. Dickens on the other hand I have never been able to really get into.

      Delete
  6. I'm quite surprised anyone could find Ella Minnow Pea cute! Wow! I found it very dark and unsettling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt it read rather like a comedy and an absurd one at that so it was hard to for me to take it seriously.

      Delete